I know how complicated this dish seems, but I promise you that it is not difficult at all and that if you are a little skilled in the kitchen, it will work out for you. And before you think, you can make your own professional sushi at home with your favorite ingredients. Because sushi really only needs rice. Everything else can be modified according to your tastes.
This sushi is filled with cucumber, avocado, and spicy chicken. The ingredients are wrapped in a layer of seaweed, rice, and furikake (a rice dressing). The perfect meal to impress your family and friends.
You have to start in an orderly fashion, preparing all the ingredients. The cucumber must be cut into very thin strips, like the avocado.
Cook the rice, prepare the chicken and cut the seaweed in half. If you don’t have all the ingredients ready, you’re going to waste time going one way or the other.
By having all the ingredients ready before you start, all you have to do is grab them and use them.
I recommend using short-grain rice because it is stickier than the other varieties. If you don’t have sushi rice on hand, use one that looks like it. Make sure to rinse the rice several times before cooking it. And of getting your hands wet to handle it, otherwise, it will stick to your hands when working with it.
Once the rice is spread, we sprinkle the seasoning on top. You decide how much to use according to your tastes. Traditionally, roasted sesame seeds are used. But you can use a seasoning that is already prepared.
The most difficult thing is to place all the ingredients correctly and roll them so that they do not come out or break. With the help of a mat, you can do better.
It is an inverted maki, so the rice will be visible, and the seaweed inside. Enjoy the recipe.
For the chicken:
- 1 cup shredded cooked or roasted chicken
- 3 and ½ tablespoons mayonnaise, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
For the sushi:
- 2 sheets of nori seaweed cut in half
- 1 and 1/2 cups of cooked rice (preferably short grain)
- Rice dressing
- 1 cucumber in thin strips
- 1 large avocado in thin strips
- Mix the shredded chicken with the mayonnaise and hot sauce to form a smooth paste. Reserve it.
- Cut the nori seaweed in half and place it on a bamboo mat.
- Take about 1/4 cup of the hot rice by hand and spread it over the seaweed sheet until it is completely covered. You can get your hands wet to prevent the rice from sticking to your hand.
- Spread the rice in a thin, even layer. Sprinkle with rice dressing.
- Now flip the seaweed over so that it is facing up and the rice is upside down.
- Set about 3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on one side in a thin layer. Add the cucumber strips and avocado.
- Once all the ingredients are in place, carefully roll them up starting from one side until they are wrapped.
- The rice side should be on the outside now. Wrap the roll with the bamboo mat and gently squeeze it into a round shape. This helps fix the rice and smooths out any areas where the rice might start to fall off.
- Take a sharp serrated knife and cut the roll in half. Do not squeeze the roll as it could break. Now break it into quarters and, if possible, into eighths.
- Serve the sushi with soy sauce, pickled ginger, or wasabi.